. . .to rest, to contemplate
Let's consider what we've just read or heard and/or what we're about to read or hear.
We often sing a song or enjoy listening to our favorite composition, delighting in the manner in which a composer can arrange the notes in such a melodic fashion. How interesting it is that we may also parallel our life by the way our daily activities have been carefully choreographed.
An interesting (but hugely significant) part of the composition, whether it be life or well written music, is the 'rests'. Usually, if I am having a difficult time grasping a piece of music correctly the problem will almost always stem from the rest area. If you don't hold the rest long enough or don't come to it at the correctly appointed time it will throw off the entirety of the song. We tend to view a piece of music as seeing only the notes and not giving thought to the 'rests' or at least giving them less respect than the notes. It is the 'rests' that give meaning to the song. It allows us time to contemplate what we have just sung and help to prepare us for what is to come.
I am more comfortable as, I am sure many of you reading this are, with busyness and not resting. A dear preacher friend of mine once said to me, "You must be running on pure adrenaline." We often do this when going through a long trial that requires more physical and emotional strength that we thought possible. I remember thinking, to his remark, that it would get me through right then. I knew from experience that I would not be able to continue on forever this way and so was always being aware of the crash to come.
Rest is not something that has been afforded to me in life in great quantities. Yet I know it to be very necessary. In the not-to-distant past I was afforded a few months rest though and this allowed me to grasp a re-directing of my life.
"Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10 We say we know He is God but our very life style indicates we are not willing to 'be still' and realize that He can empower us through our stillness; our rest. Through the rest we are given time to truly accept God as our refuge; our hiding place and be enabled with a new strength and power to go into the next phrase of our song, the life God has intended for us.
I would suggest that perhaps the masterpiece is designed around the rests rather than around the notes. Rests are for assurance in times of trouble and will strengthen us as it does the song.
The Master composes with notes and just as importantly composes with rests. Let us see the whole of the masterpiece as the Master intended, and be truly delighted in it.
"And He hath put a new song in my mouth. . ." Psalm 40:3a

No comments:
Post a Comment